Local authority housing and planning capacity in the North – Research and member roundtables
|Date:||1 October 2019 - 16 October 2019|
|Time:||10:00 - 12:00|
|Add to calendar|
Local authority housing and planning services have been some of the services worst-hit by spending reductions over the last ten years. This issue was identified as a key constraint by the Commission for Housing in the North, which called for the establishment of a Capacity Fund to enable the North to realise its housing ambitions.
The Northern Housing Consortium is now working with the Collaborative Centre for Housing Evidence to produce fresh evidence on the scale of capacity reductions in the North, and to set out the constraints it places on our ambitions to drive up housing supply and quality.
The research project is being conducted by academics at the University of Sheffield and will:
- Examine the quantitative change in local authority spending on housing and planning services since 2010, comparing the change in the North to the national context, and considering whether individual services within housing and planning have fared better or worse than others
- Consider how changes in legislation and policy over the period have affected available capacity – both in terms of generating additional funding, and consuming additional capacity
- Assess the impact of this change in capacity on local authorities’ ability to support the delivery of new homes and their ability to manage and intervene in the private rented sector
- Consider the knock-on effects of changes in capacity on local partners like housing associations and commercial housing developers.
The study began in July 2019 and has two key phases – a quantitative element which will look at spending patterns, followed by more detailed work and interviews with a representative sample of case study areas.
How can I get involved?
The NHC will be working with academics to identify the case study areas. If you are approached to take part, we would very much welcome your participation.
We will have some emerging results to share with you in October. Three roundtable events have been arranged to discuss the emerging findings and potential policy responses. These events will take place:
- North East: Tuesday 1st October, 10:00 am – 12:00noon, Newcastle Civic Centre, Newcastle
- Yorkshire & Humber: Wednesday 9th October, 10:00 am – 12:00noon, WDH, Castleford
- North West: Wednesday 16th October, 10:00 am – 12:00noon, Ward Hadaway Offices, Manchester
These events are free for NHC members – please select a ticket below to book your place for whichever session is most convenient for you.
Book your place
Please note: All prices are exclusive of VAT.
Please note: if you attended an NHC event before 28th March 2015 you will need to re-register due to an upgrade of our systems. Simply fill in the booking information to the left and an account will be created for you along with placing your order. You will be emailed with a username and password. Please read our FAQs for more information.