From our market towns to our major cities, the North is home to a diverse range of town centres with a wide variety of assets and opportunities. But changing retail habits and the impact of Covid-19 pose challenges.
The focus is now on how we can renew and reshape town centres to ensure they continue to have a relevant offer. We know that many NHC members are considering the role housing might play in creating vibrant centres where people want to live, work, relax and shop. The regeneration of our town centres will also be a key part of achieving the government’s ambitions on levelling up – with various funding streams coming forward to support transformation and deliver a visible difference.
At the NHC we want to facilitate a conversation on the role housing can play in this agenda, and with this in mind, we’re creating a series of member-only seminars and roundtables which will run throughout 2021, as an exclusive member benefit. Themes we’ll explore include:
- The role of the High Streets Task Force
- How the government’s commitment to ‘levelling up’ aims to help revitalise town centres
- Funding streams – how housing relates to the priorities of economic growth, labour market connectivity, and area renewal
- Business case development, with a focus on land value uplift and development viability
- The role of planning and design to meet local need and aspirations
- Links between town centre regeneration and improved health and wellbeing outcomes, to help build back fairer
- Ensuring residents have a voice in future plans
- Good practice case studies from across the North and the UK more widely
Sessions will be suitable for our housing association, ALMO and local authority members.
We’ll be announcing session dates over the coming weeks, and if you’d like to be notified when a new session becomes available, please email us at email@example.com
There is no charge for NHC members to join sessions in the town centres series.